Typically, the Facebook and Instagram and Snapchat apps cache as much data as possible in the background when the Onward VPN turns off. But, these apps may be making connections in the background. So, when you wake your phone and immediately launch these apps it would appear the app is working and display a very populated news feed for you, with or without images. But it shouldn't allow you to Like or Comment or Post at all.
The first thing to try and remedy this issue is to toggle Airplane mode on your iPhone. Turn it on, wait five seconds and then turn it back off.
If you are still able to use Facebook or Instagram or Snapchat without issue after ten seconds of waking your device, you may need to re-set your Smart Filter Restrict or Grant time settings.
- Tap settings (...) in upper left of the Onward app
- Tap Grant or Restrict or Detox depending on which option you've selected
- Tap your time window then Edit
- Make some kind of change
- Tap Save
- Tap Save
Also, you could try the following to see if the VPN is running properly by doing the following:
- Tap the Settings Icon on your iPhone
- Tap on General
- Then Tap on VPN
- Locate the Onward line and click on the small (i) on the right side
- Tap on "Connect on Demand" to toggle it off. After tapping it should switch to grey. Tap it again to toggle it back on.
You should find success with one of the above steps. These steps also apply to any other website or app, not just social media.